Rutland, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 3QG
Our school is a Safer School
The ‘Safer School’ initiative is a creation of West Mercia Police.
West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council support our school with the initiative. We are an accredited‘Safer School’ and proud of our Safer School sign and certificate. The accreditation is reviewed every three years.
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It
gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a
minimum standard for school security.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
• Implementing a security policy that the governors have adopted.
• Consulting parents/carers and pupils for their views and updating them on any progress.
• Publicity of ‘Safer Schools’ to school staff, pupils, school neighbours, parents and prospective parents.
• Establishing a Safer School Group. This Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholders –
Headteacher/Deputy, staff, governors, parents, pupils, neighbours, Shropshire Council and West
• Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff,
pupils, the site and assets.
• Educating pupils through the Personal, Social, Health and Economic curriculum programme or the
Safer School folder.
• A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, burglary, theft, anti-social
behaviour, vandalism, arson, suspicious activity etc., both during school hours and out-of hours.
• Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
• If there are security issues i.e. vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc., the intention of the initiative is to
reduce/eliminate the issues.
Please clink on link to see our Safer Schools Policy Statement